This is the story of a dress that wanted to be a tunic. The Aurora Dress PDF sewing pattern was a dress that during testing transformed itself to a tunic. I know... How is that possible?
- Well, I designed a lovely dress. It looks like this, and I absolutely adore it.
- Then I decided that a dress without sleeves is maybe a better bargain for a customer, if the PDF sewing pattern also has a sleeve version included.
- Hence, I added a sleeve and also added extra length, because the Midi length dresses are super relevant for fall trends 2017.
- But then... wait, not everyone enjoys ruffles, so what to do? Off with the ruffle and while we were at it, why not add a belt and a mandarin collar? (Oh no, now I have to figure out a great way to sew that collar, because I just never get it right... Check the blog post about the easy to sew mandarin collar here)
Ok, a dress that isn't also a shirt just is a waste PDF pattern paper printed, so I added a curved hemline to the dress pattern and...
- Here is the tunic with the mandarin collar stand and long sleeves. You can also make it without sleeves but I imagine you already got that figured out, right?
- And here it is with the pussy bow, which in my opinion completely transform the look
So here it is, the REAL issue.... I thought I had designed a dress with an option to make a tunic or shirt, but as it turns out it is the other way around. And why is this even important?
My testers, those hard working, dedicated kickass seamstresses without whom Wardrobe By Me could never release a single pattern, Well they (almost) all sewed the shirt / tunic version. So this is why the Aurora is a dress but mostly a tunic, and The Aurora has been released as a tunic blouse PDF sewing pattern instead of a Dress PDF sewing pattern.
The Aurora PDF pattern is a downloadable printable sewing pattern and it is on sale through the month of October 2017 for $ 9.00 (reg. $ 12.00). The pattern is designed for lightweight woven fabric for sizes 0-20 / 30-50.